I'm back with another delicious cold treat for the summer, which can be eaten as a snack or a meal. The summer weather makes me crave something cool, delicious and satisfying and the açaí bowl does just that.
If you haven't tried an açaí bowl, you are in for a treat. Açaí (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) is harvested from açaí palm trees in South American rainforests. For centuries, açaí has been a main staple food of the Amazon natives. They are mild in flavor, not sweet, and can be described slightly bitter.
But açaí packs a punch when it comes to nutritional value. They are low in calories and loaded with antioxidants to help boost your immune system and protect against cell damage. They also contain fiber (to keep you full and blood sugar steady), calcium, and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
What I love most is that I can now make these at home and have it as healthy and hearty snack. You can find frozen packs of açaí at your local Whole Foods. I suggest using a high power blender or a food processor. I add all different types of topping such as:
- Peanut butter
- Hemp seeds
- Bee Pollen
- Shredded coconut
- Chia seeds
- Protein powder
- Further Collagen: improves gut health, reduces joint pain, strengthens hair/nails/bones. Get 20% off plus free shipping with code: IRENE20
The possibilities are endless!
- 1 frozen açaí pack (can be found in the freezer section at Whole Foods). You may use 2 packs if you are on the hungrier side.
- 2 scoops of protein powder of your choice (optional)
- Your choice of toppings (about 1 tablespoon for each topping)
- If you don't have a high power blender, you can run the frozen packs under hot water to defrost slightly. Caution! if you defrost it too much, it won't have a smoothie consistency, it will be too watery (but still tasty).
- Place pack in high power blender or food processor. Blend until just smooth and not watery.
- Add your favorite toppings.