I'm always researching and trying different supplements and using my body as a experiment. I recently came across bee pollen after some research and decided to try it for myself. You may already know that products from bees have been healing ailments for thousands of years. As a matter of fact, ancient Greeks and Romans called bee pollen "the life-giving dust" and the secret "ambrosia" for eternal youth. Hmmm.... I'll take that.
Bee pollen is the male seed of a flower blossom collected by honey bees and mixed with digestive enzymes from the bees. Bee pollen contains almost all of the nutrients that the human body requires- protein, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and the only plant source that contains vitamin B12 (for circulatory health). Bee pollen is richer in protein than any animal source and contains more amino acids (which are the building blocks of protein needed to build every cell in the body) than eggs or beef of equal weight.
These mighty little granules come packed with a ton of health benefits including:
- Aiding Digestion: bee pollen contains enzymes that help your body to get nutrients from the foods that you eat.
- Immune Booster: pollen supports healthy flora in the gut (which is responsible for about 80% of your immune system!), and therefore supports your immune system.
- Supports Cardiovascular System: pollen contains an antioxidant bioflavonoid to strengthen capillaries and blood vessels and has anti-clotting properties.
- Anti-inflammatory Supplement: pollen has been compared to anti-inflammatory drugs such as naproxen when tested in labs- super healing.
- Relieves Stress: Because it supports the cardiovascular system, it improves the supply of blood to the nervous tissue, which boosts mental capacity and the nervous system.
Bee pollen is available at most health food stores. I personally use Y.S. Eco Bee Farms, where no bees are harmed during the process.
So how do you use it? I personally like to include bee pollen in my protein shakes. Here is my favorite recipe:
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice
- 1 1/2 cups of homemade almond milk OR kombucha
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 handful blueberries
- 1 tsp bee pollen
Blend first 4 ingredients in a blender until desired consistency. Top with bee pollen and enjoy.
Comment here if you try it, I'd love to know your thoughts!